Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ugh...my little girl is sick.  It's not bad sick or sick that she won't get over, in fact, my wife texted me and said she's feeling much better today.  She said she's bored...she's like me I suppose, can't sit still.  My wife asked her if she wanted to go to the movies this afternoon so she could get out, and she said no because she 'wants to wait until her mouth feels better so she can eat popcorn.'  She is totally my kid.  

But last night was no fun at all, she has some virus and it makes her throat very, very sore.  We were trying to look into her mouth with a lamp (because not one of our 53 flashlights have working batteries due to my son making them 'trains') and it made her freak.  She screamed, squirmed, covered her mouth with her hands, and when my wife got her finger in her mouth, she bit it!  Which is crazy, because my daughter is the sweetest most helpful 3 year old I've ever known.  She was that desperate to avoid anything, especially those doing something to try to help her.  

Trying to help?  Did she not realize that we were trying to help?  That we were trying to see what the problem does so we could gibe her a Remedy (thanks David Crowder)?  I mean she did everything to avoid and stop this...this...Remedy.

This morning I had to drive to Mercer Senior High School to speak at FCA because one of the most unbelievably awesome teens I have met in my life asked me to do it.  As I was driving to school (still has a dreadful ring to it doesn't it?) through the snow, I started thinking about our adventure last night and just how close the situation with my daughter and my situation with God mirrors each other.

Look at it like this, God offers us the Remedy, freely...plainly.  But yet we scream, squirm, cover our mouths, and even bite to keep from taking it or letting it do anything with us.  I wonder how many times I've mad God think, 'Justin, don't you know I'm trying to HELP?'  'I know it tastes yuckie, I know it hurts, I know you don't want to give up this or that, but this is the Remedy, and the Remedy is best.'

The time has come for the people like me to stop pursuing the things that do not matter.  Because the Remedy is here, the Remedy is now, the Remedy is free, and the Remedy doesn't care...it just wants to heal.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Unfortunately we live in a culture that promotes quick fixes, escape routes, and instant gratification. This hasn't helped us to learn to be patient, take the medicine, and learn from our walk with Him through healing experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it the drive-thru and microwave problem.

    ReplyDelete